Pages

Thursday, 1 May 2014

Hearts of the West May Blog Hop

Welcome to the 1st Hearts of the West Blog Hop!
Our fearless leader, Nancy Klein, chose our first color challenge: Buttercup, Sorbet, New England Ivy, Gypsy and Lagoon as well as the basic color pallet.
This is a circular blog hop so matter where you start, if you keep going you will end back where you started! You can find a full list of hoppers at the end of this post.  If you came from Corinna's blog then you are on the right track.
I have to admit I had a tough time with this one. I am not too keen on the colours together (love them separately) and no matter what I tried, they just didn't look right. I kept thinking "plaid" so this is what I did. Not sure I like it, but please give me your opinion.
I don't have a single scrap of Buttercup paper (guess what is on my next order), so I used a Pizzazz Irresistible and coloured it with Buttercup Exclusive Inks. The ribbon medallion is from the May Stamp of the Month You're Got a Friend stamped with New England Ivy Exclusive Inks and coloured with the closest blue I have to Lagoon. It is popped up with some foam top on top of the Irresistible. I also added a Sparkles Flourish for a little bling (I LOVE bling!). 
 

Here's what I used:
Lagoon, New England Ivy, Sorbet, Gypsy cardstock cut in 1/4" and 1/2" strips
White Daisy cardstock for the 4 1/4" X 5 1/2" base
Irresistibles Pizzazz  (Retired)
Sparkles Flourishes (Z1812)
New England Ivy Exclusive Inks (Z2135)
Buttercup Exclusive Inks (Z2110)
May Stamp of the Month You've Got a Friend
Watercolour Pencils Ocean (even the name is close to Lagoon)

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to comment. We just love reading them!
Your next stop for some awesome artwork is Donna Digby. See you next month for our next Hearts of the West Team Challenge.
This month's hoppers are:
10. Janet McCormick - That's me!

Remember you are welcome to join our amazing team. Just contact ones of these consultants to get you started! if you need help, just message any of us and we will direct you to the consultant closest to you!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Janet -- I had trouble with this color combination too. I love your "plaid" idea! What a great way to use a variety of colors all in one creation -- I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled with this colour combo as well. LOL. I think your card looks great! The colours are vibrant and you've wove them in together perfectly. I love the little pop of bling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments ladies! I am glad I was not the only one having a problem with these colours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card. Love the basket weave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! I wasn't sure about the colours at first, but I actually really like them together now. I love the paper weaving look, so much texture and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your idea. I was good with the colors except the green. Thats why i sanded mine. It looked better muted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute card!! Love the plaid look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I love your card, especially the woven pattern - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is great! i loved the color combo, i think the only thing this needed was a bit of neutral color in there to help balance it out, but you have to admit...this is pretty cool idea with the plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! WOW! WOW! From the look of the card it doesn't look like you had any problem with these colors!!! What a unique way to present the colors and the work planning out the actual weaving of the plaid - You nailed this one!

    ReplyDelete