Pages

Monday, 21 April 2014

April Bling! - UYSBH

Bling! Love it!

And what's not to love? It sparkles! It shines! So pretty!

I am the first blogger on this hop, but since this is a circular hop, you can start anywhere! If you get lost along the way, just return here for the complete list of hoppers. Please leave your comments as you go as we always like to get your feedback.

The theme for this month is BLING! Studs, sparkle gems, pearls... If it's shiny, it's bling! So let's get on with the hop!

My sister and I were cleaning out mom's condo after she passed away and I found a TON of photos from when mom was growing up. We had started an album when mom turned 80 and I thought to do a layout that showed her as she grew and make it the last two pages in the album. It is something we will always cherish. 

I used the layout Asymmetric on page 18 of the Cherish How-To book from a few years ago using the Jubilee paper pack. The base is Colonial White and I added Honey cardstock as well as the yellow lace doily B&T. The red strips are from the B&T with the white doily in the corner and the ticket stubs. It really goes well with the Honey.
I used most of a clear large Flourishes set as well as the Square Durables Studs and Foundry Pins for some bling.



The doily is cut from one of the yellow lacy B&Ts and popped up with some Foam Tape. I also added a flower from a really old pack of Compliments - Zippidee. Remember that one? It was so vibrant and cheery! I also punched a circle from the back side of the yellow lacey B&T using my 1 1/4" circle punch as well as a star. I adhered the Zippidee flower and the Jubilee circle with my ATG and then popped up the star with Foam Tape. I then added the two Foundry Pins for some extra texture.
I was really introduced to Flip Flaps at a weekend crop last November and fell in LOVE! They are awesome! Now I keep running out of them. I added them here to provide space for more photos, but also so I could get my family to add their own memories of mom to the page. They are all coming over for Easter dinner so I will get their input then.

I also wanted to include the song that was sung by a friend of mine at mom's funeral - When I Get Where I'm Going by Brad Paisley. I love this song and I know mom would have loved it too. I printed it on regular paper and cut it to size for the space, then adhered it to a piece of Colonial White, matted it with Honey, and popped it up with Foam Tape. We also had bookmarks made for people to take as keepsakes at the funeral and I wanted to incorporate that too, so I made a long pocket behind the photo of mom with her puppy and added a piece of ribbon to the top so it could be pulled out.


I originally wanted to put mom's name at the top, but thought it was too impersonal, so I found my Dimensional Elements letters and popped out the two Ms and an O. I sponged them all with Honey ink and then distressed the edges with Cranberry, but it looked too much like ketchup on eggs (YUCK!) so I sponged over the Honey with the Cranberry. It is a lot closer to the colour used in the red B&T strips this way too!

That's it for this month. I hope you like my little tribute to my wonderful mom. We all miss her terribly and this is our first big holiday without her at the helm. It will be bitter sweet. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Our hoppers this month are:
2.Joy McHargue- http://www.studiowowjoy.com
3. Judy Faye Garner - http://judyfaye.blogspot.com
5. Shirley Ross - www.momnmescrap.blogspot.com
6. Wendy Kessler - http://MyScrapbookingBlog.com

Now, hop on over to Joy's blog for some more gorgeous artwork. 

If you are interested in any of the beautiful items in this month's blog hop, please contact your local Close to my Heart Independent Consultant. 

5 comments:

  1. nice layout and I still have not used my flip flaps. I love those swirls. I really like the hidden pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout, love the use of the bling and the flip flaps and tags!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout, I really like the flaps and hidden journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description on how you got to the finished project, Janet. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the layout and pictures with just the right bling.

    ReplyDelete