Pages

Thursday, 31 December 2009

Wow! Where'd the Year Go?

As I was brushing my teeth this morning, it hit me that this is the last day of the year. December 31, 2009. Tomorrow is 2010 already. Where did the year go? What did I accomplish in the past year? Where am I going in the next 365 days?

It seems that the older I get, the faster time flies by. I just get the Christmas decorations put away and it is Valentines Day, then Easter, then.... and it just keeps going. All of a sudden it is December and I think "But I just put all the Christmas stuff away!"

So now it is time to look back over the past twelve months and think about what I have accomplished and what is still to be done. This is not an easy task, as I find that not only does time fly by fast, it is so fast it doesn't stick in the brain. It just sort of goes in one side and slides out the other. Too fast for anything to grab hold and stop it. But here is my list:

Accomplishments:

- Got over my fear of amusement park rides (well, some of them anyway. Still don't like loop-the-loop rollercoasters). When we went to Disneyland in 2000, there was no way on God's green earth you would get me on anything that went faster than a crawl, or that spun, dipped, climbed or flew. But when hubby and I spent our vacation once again at the Magic Kingdom in April, I went on them all and had a blast!! Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railway, Gizzly River, Star Tours, Soaring over California ... I couldn't ride them enough! And I SOOOOOO want to go back and do it all again!

- Lost 10 pounds! Woohoo! Cut out the junk food, eat more fruit and veggies, drink lots of water. Talk about a boring diet, but you get lots of exercise with the frequent trips to the bathroom.

- Put on 20 pounds. Okay, so maybe this is not a real accomplishment, and it sucks, but it did happen. More junk food, less fruit and veggies, still lots of water though so still get the exercise.

Hmmm. This is harder than I thought. Or do I really lead such a boring life that losing and gaining weight is at the top of my accomplishments list? Okay. Try again...

- Helped my granddaughter complete her Gold level Duke of Edinburgh's Award and watched as she was presented her certificate by His Royal Highness Prince Edward at a ceremony in June.

- Was presented with an award at the cadet end of year ceremonies for volunteering at camps and working with the cadets on their D of E awards.

- Discovered blogging. I like to write and this is one way for me to get my thoughts out there. If anyone reads them, great! If not, oh well. Their loss!

So what have I not accomplished that will be on the Big To Do List for 2010?

- Lose at least 80 pounds and tone my muscles so I can wear clothes that don't make me look like Moby Dick's sister. Maybe start a walking program with Amanda, and possibly go to the gym a few times a week. But then again, isn't there some way I can lose weight and tone up without the sweat factor???

- Sell my house and move into a carriage home where everything is on one floor, but that still has a small yard to accomodate "the boys", aka Mick and Teddy. Something like what mom is in now. Three bedrooms (one for us, one for guests and one for my office/craft room), laundry area, pantry, and possibly a fireplace. But wait. That would mean going through everything in the house and figuring out what to keep, what to throw, and what could be sold in a garage sale. Now that REALLY sounds like work...

- Start eating healthier. More fruit and veggies, less junk. Cut out the sweets (for a dessert junkie, this may be asking just a bit too much!) and exercise more (already discussed this one).

Sound like a good start? It should keep me busy for a few months anyway. At least until Christmas sneaks up on me again and says "What? Not ready again???"

Safe and Happy New Year, everyone! May 2010 bring you all you wish for and then some!

1 comment: