Pages

Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Oh, The Weather Outside...

I was in Costco this weekend and was quite dismayed to see Christmas trees, decorations, and cards on display. Too early folks!! Give it another month, please! I worked in the retail industry for many years and we were not allowed to have our Christmas displays up or the merchandise on the shelf before Halloween. Now it seems we have four new seasons - Spring, Summer, Christmas and the Rest-of-Winter.

Since Christmas stuff is already in the stores, I decided no time like the present to get Christmas lists from all the various kids, grandkids, neices and nephews. So far, I have seen everything from "I have no idea. You pick something." to "A car". Looks like this will be a shopping trip like other years - I will be walking around Wal-Mart with my cell phone clutched precariously between my ear and shoulder asking the various daughters and sons if their offspring would like this nifty truck/doll/game for Christmas. My husband will pick up five of whatever for the kids - so they all have the same thing and there is no resentment because this one got something that one wanted. They are adults! If they do that, it is time for them to GROW UP!

Time to do some Christmas baking too. Shortbread needs a few months to mellow and get that rich, buttery taste to mature. I have an old recipe made with REAL butter, icing sugar, cornstarch and flour. Nothing else. It is soooooooo good!!!

Now I am hungry, time to go get lunch. Maybe a shortbread cookie or two from the bakery too...

No comments:

Post a Comment