Pages

Friday, 2 October 2009

Don't Get Taken In...

This is to all the ladies out there who are going through a relationship breakdown. Your emotions are fragile right now. You feel that men are scum for various reasons. Then you start chatting with some guy online who says all the right things - you are beautiful/smart/funny, you make him feel so great, he wants your body - and then all of a sudden, this online relationship has gotten to the point where he wants to spend the rest of his life with you, he will move to where ever you are - even if is the North Pole - and live with you forever. This usually takes between 3 to 5 days. Yes, DAYS! Talk about your whirlwind romance!

So now he has you hooked. The stars in your eyes light up a room. You are totally smitten. Then he needs a favour from you. For me, the first time (yeah, I admit. I got taken in twice) he was a guy who lived in Barrie, Ontario who owned an import business. I got a call from him saying he wanted me to buy a top of the line laptop and send it to him in Ghana where he happened to be "on business". His laptop had supposedly died and he could not get a replacement.

This last time, he was an American soldier stationed in Iraq. After the requisite 5 days had passed and I was hooked, he told me he needed me to accept a mysterious package for him that he was sending by some "diplomat". Well, this "diplomat" emailed me from supposedly Ghana asking for $2000 so he could come to me with this package. When this guy wanted to phone me, I gave him my number and as soon as I heard his voice I knew it was the same guy, or someone from the same country.

I did not send the laptop or the money!

So if you get into a situation like this, GET OUT as soon as you can! Please be smart and tell the jerk to take a flying leap. Yes, it hurts like hell because you have been made to think you are the best thing since sliced bread and now all of a sudden you have to make choice between that wonderful feeling or your bank account. Because believe me, if they can get a laptop or $2000 out of you, they will try for more until they bleed you dry!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jana Malvin here.This is a very terrible situation going on these days.There seem to be no solution to this issue.I watched series of scam documentaries on tv and even oprah.I think anyone online looking for a relationship must be aware of this and be smart as well.Am happy that you are using your experience and story to advice in a way.Thanks

    ReplyDelete